Wednesday, November 5, 2008

A New World

How wonderful, right?  I don't think I need to say too much about the election, by now, we all know the results.

However, I must say how amazing I feel right now.  Its a new world.  In a matter of a few hours, the entire way that the United States interacts with the world, and how we are seen, has been changed for the better.  Just how amazing!

But then, we can't forget what else happened yesterday.  Many states put it in to their state constitutions that same-sex couples are not allowed to marry.  Honestly, that is fine with me, do that.  I've come to the point where I don't care what a majority of people say.  Yes, this means rights will be denied to me, and to my fellow members of the LGBTQ community, but we need to remember that this is just part of a long struggle.  I don't want marriage.  I want rights.  I don't want heterosexual approval.  I want to be respected as an equal.  Soon, the States will see that this is nothing more then a way to put down the "other."  I have faith that this works out, so honestly, I'm not that worried about this setback.  Why?  Because I don't see it as a setback.  Its another step on a journey.

So, that being said, it is time to move on to today.  Obama will be our new president, the Democrats in the Senate and House have larger majorities, and things will happen.  However, those things that we crave so much to change will only change if we commit ourselves to that change.  Barack can't do it by himself.  You voted, congratulations.  Now, follow up, get active, and continue to get your opinions out there.  Your voice in this world does not end at a vote, it is only a beginning.

P.S.  My 21st birthday is Nov. 8 :)

1 comment:

Wayne said...

I think this will do ALOT for international relations. All of the European news media have basically stated how faith has now been restored in the US for making that decision.

Even though we woke up to the news that the prime-minister and leader of the opposition (who will more than likely be elected next year) had clashed over America's new choice of president O.o

I hate the world ha.